As a business, it’s important to ask whether your waste is recyclable. Properly managing the waste of your business can assist you financially and help your company stay environmentally responsible. Here at Environmental Recovery Corporation (ERC), we can help with all your waste management needs, including recycling.
Types of Recyclable Materials
Your company can recycle various materials. As you begin to recycle your waste materials, make sure that they’re clean and that all containers are rinsed out. Below is a list of the main recyclable materials your company may use:
- Oil: Used motor oil, used hydraulic oil, mineral oil, diesel, home heating oil, #2 heating oil
- Water: All water from manufacturing processes, contaminated groundwater, tank cleaning water and many others can potentially be treated/recycled
- Paper and cardboard: Flattened cardboard, copy paper, newspaper, envelopes, file folders, brochures, paper bags, shredded paper in securely tied clear plastic bags
- Paper food containers: Cups, frozen food boxes, milk and juice cartons without lids and caps
- Plastic containers and bags: Cups, jars, tubs, five-gallon buckets, plant pots, plastic bags #1 and #2
- Glass: Bottles and jars of any color and size without caps and lids
- Aluminum, tin and scrap metal: Cans, clean scrap metal, empty non-toxic aerosol cans
The following are the typical materials that are not recyclable:
- Waxed paper
- Food-contaminated paper
- Foam cups and packing materials
- Packing peanuts
- Polystyrene materials
- Materials made of #3 and #7
If you’re unsure whether some materials you have can be recycled, check with your local waste management representative. You can also contact ERC — we handle all streams of residual waste.
Ways To Recycle
You can manage your recyclable waste in one of two different ways:
- Wastewater treatment facilities: A sample of your oil or water can be sent to a facility that will test to determine if your wastewater can be treated/recycled.
- Customized recycling: This waste management plan requires separating the different recyclable materials your company has. You would need to establish different containers for each material with a label to help your employees know which containers to use to dispose of their waste.
- Single-stream: This method of recycling allows for all recyclable waste to be put into one container. There’s no need to separate the different materials.
You’re free to choose the recycling method that’s best for your company.
Benefits of Recycling Your Business’s Waste
Recycling your business waste can build your company’s reputation in a positive way. Consumers are taking note of the businesses that are being environmentally responsible as they decide to purchase products or use a company’s service. You can use recycling as a promotion tactic with your consumers. Recycling is also a more sustainable alternative. It helps the environment and will allow you to become more financially independent, as you’ll have a waste management plan in place.
Depending on where you’re located, you may need to look into recycling your business waste. For instance, Philadelphia businesses need to integrate recycling into their waste management plans to avoid facing penalties as Philadelphia implements their Zero Waste Initiative.
Need Assistance With Waste Management?
Here at ERC, we’re a one-source solution for anything your company may need regarding waste management solutions. We have nearly 30 years of experience as a full-service environmental company. If you have any questions regarding recycling, feel free to contact us online or call 1-833-342-5372.